Search Engine Industry Changes Reinforce the Emphasis on Content Marketing
In 2012, there were changes to the Google search algorithm, known as the Penguin and Panda updates. These changes caused a serious reduction in the effectiveness of borderline "gray-hat" tactics that SEOs have used for years to gain website presence on the front page of the major search engines. Today, these link building tactics for rapidly gaining enhanced website ranks are being penalized within the algorithms used by many of the major search engines.
More than Ever Quality Content Matters
"Content is king" has been the guiding principal of web content for years. Now in 2013 and going forward into the future; it is essential for a website's or business' survival on the web. There is a renewed focus on content marketing from businesses of all shapes and sizes. Businesses can no longer rely on quick, on-page optimization of their websites. In order to build search engine ranks and build trust with customers, valuable, useful, and share-worthy content is imperative.
Every business that wants to stay relevant on the web needs to invest in content marketing — including blogging, podcasting, e-book writing, e-mail marketing. The Internet is the 1st source consumers go to to search for goods and services. Your website pages must contain the words and phrasing customers are putting into search engines for you to be found.
If they can not find you then how will they know about you??
Customers & search engines alike favor websites that blend keyword rich content, relevant product information, & clean site navigation, all bundled within a technically sound environment.
Your Website & the Search Engines: Things to Do
• Relevant Keyword Content is Imperative - Write website content that blends in the keywords that your clients are using to find you on the Internet. Your content rich layouts will come up in the search engines and make compelling reasons for people to look at your products & information.
• Get Listings on Major Search Engines & Industry Specific Directories - Submit your site to selected search engines and directories. Continue to submit your pages to make sure you stay there.
• Monitor Your Position & Make Adjustments - Benchmark your site against 2-3 competitors & monitor your position for select key words in different search engines. The search engine companies update the their ranking process regularly & you need to make adjustments to your site to position & maintain solid ranking for your keyword categories.
• Build Relevant Inbound Links - Along with content relevancy, the amount and quality of inbound links connecting to your site contributes mightily to your search engine ranking. Develop an online program to build a stable of links to your site. Do it the honest way - no link farms - no quick fixes that will get your site penalized.
• Refresh Your Site Content - Search Engines love to see sites that are adding new content and components. When your site is updated regularly search engines see the site as "alive and relevant" and will reward you with a better ranking than a site that has been neglected.