The main purpose of a business website is to provide information about products & services in order to promote them. The way text information is presented (content) is important since it encourages or discourages visitor interaction. Content also effects the way a website is found & ranked in search engines.
Content is the critical component of a business website
A key component of an Internet marketing campaign is to have a concise, organized, well written, attractive "landing space". Once you have this, you can confidently drive viewers to your site via Internet & traditional marketing campaigns.
Website Content Do's
• Put your most important information on the top portion of your home page - so your customers can read it without having to scroll down.
• Use headline titles - Break up a large block of text by using topic headers or titles. This facilitates scanning, which is what most people do.
• Use short sentences - Most people will scan your website - short sentences makes this easier.
• Use whitespace to break up large text blocks & use bullets for lists - Again, this makes for easy scanning and puts greater emphasis on your content.
• Use at least a 11px font size - Small font size is hard to read, so use at least a 11px size or HTML font size 2 for your font. San serif fonts are easier to read on screen so use Arial or Verdana fonts.
• Update your content - Keep your content fresh and up to date. Move old content to an archive section - but keep the archive available online.
Website Content Dont's
• Don't use ALL CAPITAL LETTERS or underlines to provide emphasis. ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, by web convention, is equal to shouting and is considered rude. Underlined text, especially with blue underline, is often confused for links.
Instead, to provide emphasis consider using:
Separate Paragraphs With Colored Title Header
Use Bold or Italics or Both